Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

60 Degrees

Spent the last couple hours setting up the watermelon bed and dragging sticks to the curb. I am grimy and worn out! But, how can you not get out in the SUN in the dead of February, even if it means yard work?


I do hope these pictures of the stick pile portray how big a mess there was in the yard. Giant limbs that had to be dragged in the foreground, oodles of smaller branches and twigs to the back.









I know this looks like a grave, but it really isn't. Really. It is a layered future planting bed: Cardboard on the bottom, then newspaper, then composted manure, then ground up clippings from last year, then peat humus, then mulch. Phew. By mid-May it should be all rotted together into a nice pile of nutritious earth for my watermelons and zucchini. Yay! Would have been a lot easier if it weren't so windy!




Meanwhile, the bulbs are doing fine today after I pulled a foot or so of oak leaves off of them last night. Mostly daffodils, I think. And a lone snow drop. So far.

No comments: