Pages

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Nature's Resilience

Last fall, I had to dig up my herb garden and put all the plants into a temporary set up while I had some drainage work done around the back of the house. This little rose was in that garden. I didn't hold much hope for its survival, but here it is, greening back up for spring!

Unfortunately, the big, beautiful cotoneaster in the back didn't make it. It was one of the first plants I put in when I moved here almost 8 years ago. Late last summer, it just died. The barberries around it are fine, they're greening up again. Really sad, it had provided a shelter for rabbits and the neighbor's cat (not at the same time, of course!). Yesterday, I cut it down. Maybe some more barberries for that spot....

Meanwhile, crocuses continue to welcome spring all over the yard...


Crocus thyme ;)
Planting the peas a bit earlier this year. I'm told St. Patrick's Day is the guide--that's next weekend. I planted three kinds: Goliath (4.5" stringless pods--68 days to harvest), Burpeeana Early (3" pods filled with 8-10 sweet, tender peas--63 days to harvest), and Super Snappy (5-6" pods with 8-10 large peas--63 days). Yum!


Primrose in the re-set herb garden.

 The daffodils are just getting started. Thursday's rain bent them over a bit, but they're straightening back up.


No comments: