Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fall Color 2012

Things have been a bit crazy for me lately, but Mother Nature just keeps on doing her thing outside. September had extra rain, but it doesn't make up for the drought and the extra hot summer. The veggies just didn't do so well this year. It didn't help that I didn't thin out the tomato plants enough, either. And the excessive heat kept the melons and summer squash from setting fruit. And the squash bugs got into the zucchini halfway through the season, so I only had a few. And, never enough time to tend the gardens properly. Maybe my next job will allow more summer evenings to do better next year.... Again, I am thankful that I don't rely on my own garden for much to eat!

Unfortunately, the CSA had a very rough year, too. So much so that they are not doing it next year. Makes me sad. Perhaps I'll find another one.

But, the fall color is looking good. See some pix below. I love asters instead of mums -- the asters come back every year. While I'm not a huge fan of sedums, they came with the house and they are so hardy. This is my favorite time of year with them, as they turn a beautiful pink in late summer then deeper pink into the fall. Bees love them too.

Planted a second crop of peas back in August, and they are coming along well. The weather has cooled off quickly, but they like it that way.

Asters and Cotoneaster berries

blueberry bush

sedum

sedum
early September - lighter pink, with bees

tree??? - one from Arbor Day Foundation, don't remember what it is!

peas on the way

No comments: