Pages

Saturday, July 03, 2010

Where Does the Time Go?

It has been almost 6 years since I bought my little house in my giant yard. Hard to believe -- so much has happened/changed since then. It seemed like such a grand adventure at the time, to have a whole acre to plant whatever I wanted! After living in apartments for years and only having small containers, I was so excited to put down roots literally and figuratively. I had no idea how much work it would take.

I feel truly blessed to have a great company to cut the grass, clean the gutters, and do the occasional heavy job. Meanwhile, I keep putting in more beds for the guys to mow around. I know I must drive them crazy. Next up is a path from the driveway to the bird feeders. Can't wait!

Check out the River Birch I planted that first year. It was just a twig from the Arbor Day Foundation tree store. Pretty cool, huh? I have always loved birch trees. Of course, I planted a water-loving variety in one of the few dry spots in the yard. But, someone told me he dumps a gallon jug on his each morning, and it has done just fine. I don't get out there every day, but I don't neglect any of my trees during our frequent summer droughts.


The cotoneaster and barberries here were also planted during that first year. They have easily quadrupled in size. The goldens were added later. I had tried an azalea there, but it was not at all happy in that spot.

No comments: