Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Basil Jelly

Why basil jelly? There is only so much pesto one can make. Besides, it sounded interesting and tasty.


There was a LOT of basil, so I made some pesto, too. (Note that 2 cups of basil went into each recipe - yielding a little over 3 pints of jelly but just about 1 cup of pesto.)

Anyway, basil jelly. Here's the recipe I used: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/73253931412369989/

I had seen some other recipes using less basil, but including some lemon. I think the lemon would make the jelly even better, so I think I will include some next time. I skipped the food coloring, so the color is much less green. I think I'm okay with that--might look too much like mint jelly otherwise. I also did not go crazy straining out the chopped basil leaves. 

I have tried it as the recipe suggests, with cream cheese on crackers. It is pretty mild, but nice. I do think the lemon would perk it up and complement the basil nicely. 

No comments: