Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Braised Radishes

Looking for a way to use a bounty of radishes from the Farm, I came upon a Cooking Light recipe for Chardonnay-Braised Radishes. The description promised the radishes would mellow and take on a sweetness when braised. I don't have any chardonnay, since it is not one of my favorite wines, so I used vermouth--my go-to white wine for cooking.

The dish looked pretty:

But... I am not sure if it was the substitution of the wine--it has never posed a problem before--but I just did not find the flavors appetizing. Kind of sour. Just generally not pleasing to my palate.

So, I tried to morph some of the leftovers into the next recipe, Radish Vichyssoise. It was worse. A gray, lumpy paste-like soup, with the flavor only minimally improved. I will spare you the sight of it. There is no photo in the cookbook, either.

Lesson learned: Radishes are yummy fresh, chilled, plain or chopped up in a variety of cold salads, but cooking them is not for me.

Next up, a chocolate-peanut butter-bacon pie. I kid you not. I know it has no seasonal produce in it, but I am so intrigued...

No comments: