Pages

Saturday, June 02, 2012

Where Did May Go?

Yes, I've been neglecting the blog. But not the gardens! The hummingbird zone has been filled in, the vegetable garden is sprouting, and I have planted a redwood tree.

Hummingbird garden -- red salvia, butterfly bush, snapdragons, weigela, columbine, yellow primroses, morning glories galore, and bee balm plants. Cosmos, zinnias, and delphiniums just sprouting from seed.

Bee balm!

The new vegetable bed.

Assorted beans, summer squash, and zucchini. I think there is one watermelon coming up. Got the special slanted trellis this spring. I am determined to get a watermelon this year! Everything was planted from seed (except one tomato plant) on May 21st, in accord with the direction of the Farmer's Almanac (to plant during the waxing phases of the moon). Tomatoes, chard, carrots, bell peppers, and basil sprouting off to the left of the picture.

For the fencing, I bought several 2' wide trellises and zip-tied pieces of plastic hex-netting to them. My intent is to be able to remove just one or two pieces to weed and harvest. Much more manageable than trying to stake the wire roll fencing around the garden with no good way to get in without taking out have the stakes.


My new dawn redwood. "Tolerates deer," whatever that means! (Fence bit and mulch ring to fend off the lawnmower!)

No comments: