Pages

Sunday, June 01, 2014

Bouncing Back from the Polar Vortex

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. The long, cold winter seemed to have positive effects on some plants, while others are lost altogether. Among the lost, a maple in front, my butterfly bush, and my scotch broom. Knock out roses were hit hard all around. They are rebounding, but significant winter damage must be cut out. I've gotten them cut back some, but there is more work to be done. With 15 of them in my landscape, it's going to take a while!

knock out pruning
knock out pruning
Returning slowly, but surely...
first signs of hope
 

today - looking better every day
today

These azaleas have not bloomed together since they were planted several years ago. Lots of good-looking azaleas around town this year. Go figure.


I'm pretty sure the hostas are bigger than ever this year, too. I know they do grow year to year, but they seem to have taken a big jump this year.



And my weigela is looking quite healthy.


Oh, and the poison ivy is EVERYWHERE. I'm going to have to put on the hazmat gear and attack it one day soon. Of course, it is nestled in among the desired plants, so I can't just spray it...

in the knock outs

in the beauty bush and redwood

in the irises

No comments: