Pages

Monday, July 01, 2013

Thinking About Posting

Wow! Can't believe it has been almost a month since my last post. I have been taking pictures and working in the gardens, just haven't been posting. I vow to do better for the rest of the summer!

Looking back over the photos I have between my last post and today, I can see they have all come a long way. God's creation never ceases to amaze me. Over the next couple weeks, I will examine more closely some of the details of progress of some of these plants. For now, some pictures of vegetables and berries from the last few days.

This spring and early summer have definitely been ideal conditions. I hope such continues through the growing and harvest seasons. The local farmers have had it rough in recent years.

In the meantime, the morning glories have taken over the pea tunnel and spirals, and have attempted to take over the world. I am still pulling out about a dozen seedlings daily (down from hourly a couple weeks ago). I will be much more diligent about collecting the seeds this fall.



Peas are done and summer veggies are well on the way. I went through and marked approximate harvest dates on the Farmers Almanac calendar in the kitchen. Patty pan, zucchini, and summer squash have another week or two to go. I have picked a few cherry tomatoes and one regular tomato, but those were from plants I bought, not from the direct-sown seeds. I planted a variety of tomatoes, so I should have a steady harvest provided the weather holds. Good rain so far this year, so I've only had to water the gardens a couple times and the containers a couple more.

patty pan
green tomatoes (bought plant) and plants (direct sown)
The beans are getting flowers:


Corn seed package doesn't show an approximate harvest time. I'm sure I'll figure it out. It is definitely more than "knee high by the 4th of July"!


Fighting deer, bunnies, birds, squirrels, etc. in the berry patch. Somebody got to my red currants the day before I planned to harvest. Grrr. I mixed in some blackberries and got one jar of jam made. Yummy.


I surrounded the hazelnut patch with Deer Scram. With all the rain, I'll have to re-apply soon. I may trade off with Irish Spring or Bounce to keep them on their toes. This is the first year I've seen this many nuts this well-developed. 



And just because these look so great, I have to share--pots of sage and dill:




No comments: